Saturday, September 5, 2009

Posts 8-12 In One

I'm a week late posting. I apologize.

I'm beginning to re-think my series. I plan to finish it, but since I did not start this blog for political reasons, I'd like to get through those debates and get back to the things I really want to post about (see my earlier posts).

To do this, I'm going to combine the rest of the Logic posts into this one.

Also, don't forget about Followers Say coming up in just two weeks!

Logical Fallacies to Watch Out For (continued):

8. Straw Man Argument:

Another personal favorite. This occurs when someone distorts their opponent's oppinion to make it easier to attack.

Christians are especially vulnerable to this. This is partly due to the "Inherit the Wind" standard set up, and partly because of the truly stupid arguments some Christians have made.

Darwinists like to make the public think that only the most extreme religious fundamentalists disagree with their theory. This is simple not true. (If you think it is, please provide some evidence.)

A 2009 poll by Pew Research Center found that "just 32% of the public accepts [Evolution] as true."

I find it hard to believe that all 68% of America are extreme religious fundamentalists.

Why do Darwinists like to portray the argument as Science vs. the Bible?

Because, guess what? When the debate is set up that way, science always wins.

Despite what many Darwinists say, the evidence for Evolution is shakier than they would like. To draw attention away from this, they set up the Straw Man Argument.

9. Begging the Question:

An argument is said to be begging the question if it assumes the answer to the inquiry in question.

Example:
Question: Why should we believe what the Bible says?
Answer: Because the Bible says so.

Question: What evidence proves that life evolved from non-living molecules?
Answer: Don't reject a scientific theory just because of religious bias.

The latter answer assumes what is in dispute: that the evidence for chemical Evolution is so strong that only prejudiced people would be skeptical.

In arguments that beg the question, answers usually assume that science and reason are always on the same side.

This fallacy ties in to the Straw Man as well. If you let a Straw Man define the terms, you will always lost.

10. Lack of Testability:

We must learn to distinguish between theories that put themselves at risk (can be tested) and ones that cannot be show to be either true OR false.

Not everything a scientist says is scientific, and some theories coming from eminent scientists might be about as accurate as musings about Heaven. Both Creationism and Evolution can be stated in safe or risky ways.

If a Creationist says that they believe in Creation on faith, then there's nothing we can do to prove or disprove the theory. However, if a Creationist says that the evidence says taht living organisms are the product of intellegent life and could never have come into being by completelyl natural means from a probiotic soup of chemicals, that statement invites scientific testing.

Darwinism was first stated in a testable, risky way. It predicted that fossil hunters would eventually discover a great number of transitional intermidiates between the major groups (they didn't) and that animal breeders would succeed in creating distinct species (they didn't).

Today, Darwin's theory is stated in a risk-free way. Naturalistic evolution is identified with science itself, and any different theories or suggestions are immediately disqualified as "religion". This makes it impossible to have a scientific debate over whether the theory is true.

11. Vague and Shifting Definitions:

When debating, people (unfortunately mainly Darwinists) like to use the "bait and switch" strategy. They will lead you to agree to a harmless definition, and then use teh definition later in a very different way. Terms that are commonly subjected to this switch are "science" and "e/Evolution".

Someone might lead you to agree that dog breeding is evolution. Well, you might agree with that. Sure. If what "evolution" means is that there are variations within speicies, sure. (By the way, dog breeding is guided, and only variation, not evolution.)

The correct answer, then, for when someone asks you if you believe in evolution is:

"Define 'evoulution'."

12. Original Sin:

We need to look at all the facts with an open mind (not so open that your brain falls out, of course). Beware the original sin: believing what we want to believe. We are all guilty of this. It's human nature.

In the words of Richard Feynman: "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself--and you are the easiest person to fool."

Thank you, and talk to you next time!

9 comments:

  1. Well, I'm sure there are interesting posts yet to come--politics or not.

    You definitely touched on vital points and mistakes people make while debating. We all make these mistakes. I do too. But please remember not to generalize groups. I try my best to not create a stereotypical image of Creationists in my head, so I wish others would do the same for Evolutionists. But good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this insightful post Kendra, I look forward to the less planned posts, because inspiration that comes suddenly is often one of the best kinds!
    I have a question for you, (not as an argument, but an actual question, since you seem to have studied fallacy definitions a great deal more than I have.)
    If I believe that the Bible is true because Creationism is true, because of some proof that I think I have, then saying that I think something is so because the Bible says so is not a Fallacy unless someone is able to prove that my evidence for Creationism is false, correct?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christopher: Thank you!

    You're right, I do tend to do that when I shouldn't. Thank you for reminding me to be careful. I'll try to be especially aware of that in future posts.

    Einar: Thanks! Yes, I think so, too.

    That is correct, yes, but in that case, you could just say that Creationism is true for your reasons and leave the Bible out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant, if I consider the Bible true because I consider Creationism true, then for someone to "prove" to me that the Bible is wrong, they would have to start by disproving Creationism, correct?
    If they cannot, then I would be justified in saying, "The Bible says" without providing proof FOR the specific claim in the Bible, because I believe the Bible has already been proved true by the evidence for Creationism.

    Does that make sense? I feel like a bear with very little brain... Think...think...think....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol :)

    Not necessarily. Just because Creation is true does not mean the entire Bible is true. Your opponent could still find you guilty of using the fallacy of Apriorism, which means that you assume what is true of one part is true for the whole. (Ex: Assuming that one good foot ball player means that the whole team is good.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see, thank you, that clears a lot up for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not your apponet. I don't consider you an 'apponet'. However, I do fidn it interesting how you pick out the 'true' verses from the 'non-true' ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was not calling you Einar's opponent (where did you get "apponet"?). I was just explaining the facts of debating to him, and "opponent" was the correct word to use in that context.

    I was also not saying that some of the Bible is true and some is not. I was merely pointing out that it is fallacious to assume that because part of the Bible is true, the whole thing is. That reasoning alone is invalid.

    ReplyDelete