Thursday, November 5, 2009

You

I'm studying DNA and genes in biology this week; you know, what makes you, you. Your DNA controls your physical characteristics almost entirely. You can lift weights or something to get stronger, of course, but there's actually a limit to how far you can go. Your DNA determines that limit.

But what about our thoughts and personalities? I've been told that I "act just like my mom" sometimes, but is that because of my DNA, or my mom's influence on me throughout my life? Hmm.

Peoples' personalities are (obviously) very different. I can't figure some people out, and other I understand perfectly. Some people love the color purple, and others (like me) find it a horrible color for whatever reason (sorry, purple-lovers :)). Some love to read, others don't. Some think Obama is the best thing since remote controls, others think it wouldn't hurt him to be a little less like one.

I have often wondered what makes us who we are. DNA to some extent, parental influence to some, God shaping us to some as well, but who are WE?

What is YOU?

I don't mean what do you like. I don't mean when you go shopping and see a cute jacket that is "so you". I mean what are you. Where is the "you" in your body? What makes you, YOU?

If I cut off your finger, is that finger "you"?

Well, yes and no...It's PART of you, but it's not really YOU...

Okay, so you aren't in your finger.

I tend to think people are in their heads. But it's not as if you could dissect someone's brain and find a little piece inside that's "them".

So...what makes us who we are?

It's our minds, yes. Our thoughts. But what are thoughts? Just electric impulses in our brains? How do little electric impulses tell us right and wrong, what to like, how to act? How do little electric impulses make us love to read, or write, or go horseback riding, or paint? How do little electric impulses tell us to be scared, happy, sad, or excited? How do little electric impulses make us love and hate?

Maybe we'll never really know what
thoughts are. Maybe people DO know and I just don't yet :) But it's really kind of interesting, isn't it? What separates "you" from "your body"? What are thoughts?

Just something to think about ;)

9 comments:

  1. I can't believe you don't like purple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was definitely an interesting post and something to think about it. I think about it all the time. Are DNA patterns, heredity, and genes really what make us who we are?

    I might add that to a scientist at least, yes, those "little electrical impulses" do determine whether we have certain hobbies or not. Essentially, I think that the technical truth is not as important as our outlook on it.

    The Obama joke hurt but it was clever. I'll give you that. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bard: Haha, I think it has something to do with the fact that I have grape flavoring...Not real grapes, just the artificial flavor. Ick!

    Christopher: Thanks! I thought about it some in philosophy last year, but biology made me consider it all over again.

    Yes, that is what they believe, but I'm not sure that's what *I* believe. (I'm not saying it's true for them and not for me, LOL, either they are wrong, or I am.)

    Haha, well, thank you anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. To quote Bard "I can't believe you don't like--" Nevermind. I believe it. *mock crying* Purple's my favorite colour, actually. Haha.

    I've never studied DNA/genes, so I don't know much about them (same goes for just about everything covered on Carpe Noctem.), but I think heredity may play a part in what we have a natural interest in, but whether or not we choose to pursue that interest or skill is totally up to us, and that decision is influenced be the envoirnment we live in and the people/things around us.

    Onto these little "electrical impulses", as you put it. I think something about them learns from what's around us. So in that case, nothing would be the same to everyone. Heredity, like you said, could have an impact already, but once we're in the world, who/what we are around influences us, for better or worse, and our thoughts change in reaction to this.

    We think like our envoirnment, I guess. So... Maybe our thoughts are like some.. Personal manifestation of influences on us throughout our lives, all mixed to make a personality. or at least that's how you may develop them... What they literally are, though, is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, yes. I didn't mean to link this back to the prospect of individual truth. I meant to say that whether the scientists are right or not, your mindset about the technical truth is more important than that techical truth. IF that makes any sense. In my case, it would be hard for me to accept that genes determined everything about us. But if that WERE the case, and it WAS scientifically proven, then it is still important whether you put it under that light or not.

    After all that senseless rambling, am I still allowed to say "ditto to what Muse said"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Genes determine most of our quailties, but not all. And the ones that aren't completely decided by genes are greatly influenced by them. None of our qualities stand alone without genes, but some rely on genes more than others. interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Purple is one of my favorite colors too Muse! :)

    I think that there is a relationship between our genes, our environment, and our spirit. Our genes do not account for many things about us. Our genes may allow us to have great reflexes, good muscle strength, and superior endurance, but they do not decide whether we use those qualities to be a pro athlete, a fire fighter, or a dancer. Our environment may influence us (an affection for or rebellion against the fact that our father was a fire fighter), but there is more to it than that. There is a created part of us that is totally individual, above both our genes and our environment, that has the greatest influence on who we are.

    I think that genes and environment are used very often as excuses to cover personal choices (my genes made me do it or it is my parents fault). The thing is, we have many examples of people overcoming both genetic and environmental hurdles to accomplish things they "shouldn't" be able to.

    Our parents will determine what genes we have. Our environment includes influences from an even greater number of people/circumstances. The most powerful element that makes up the "YOU" is the part God created when he made the only YOU that will ever exist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, that made me smile. Anywhoodles, I think you are dipping into psychology.
    I know, personally, my grandmother doesn't.... I mean didn't... Like the color purple because apparently, back in her day, it was the color people were buried in.

    I lost what I was saying. Sorry my comment is not as meaningful as the other comments probably are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol, what's with the color purple and you people? :D

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete