Saturday, August 8, 2009

Unrelated: Word Inflation: Is "Love" Officially Meaningless?

The word "love" has become so over-used lately, that it really means nothing at all. My friend Ellie and I call this over-use "word inflation." When there gets to be a lot of money circulating in the economy, it doesn't seem to matter as much to people, and they spend it all the time. That's inflation. So, word inflation is, guess what? Yup. When people use a word so much that it doesn't really even mean anything anymore.

That's what's happening to "love." The word pretty much means nothing now. Nothing. Seriously. Nowadays, "love" might mean anything from, "Thanks" to "I really want part of that cookie.” In birthday cards, thank you notes, and just notes people pass each other (well, we girls at least) the words "I love you" are pretty much always there.

But do they really mean it?

I'm sure some people do, but still, the whole idea of love has been just totally twisted and made to seem so insignificant. Love is a big deal, y'all! It's not a word to be squandered on Valentine's Day cards to people you met last week! It's not just something you shout at your mom as you're leaving the house. Love is a gift, and by using the word so often and so carelessly, it's completely lost its meaning.

Of course, there are different types of love. You can obviously love someone as a friend and not want to marry them! But still, we should be careful the way we use such a strong word as "love." Do you really? Or are you just saying that? Be honest with people. Be honest with yourself.

8 comments:

  1. My preacher actually had a whole sermon about the overuse of the word "love." It is way overused. There are actually thirteen Latin words that were argued could be translated into thew word "love."

    Well, I loved this post! (Bad joke.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that many? That's amazing!

    Lol, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right about this. It's a shame that there is only one word for love in the English language, when there are so many different kinds of love out there. We should make a synonym! =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had issues with the overuse of the word "love" for quite some time now... I hate it when people lie when they tell you they love you, but I won't rant aimlessly. The hardest thing for me is that I'm never sure if I love someone, or just have deep feelings of any type for them. Drives me nuts!

    Wonderful post, like always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. for someone whom talks spanish to say "I love you" to adearest friend have been a sort of dificult situation sometimes, I didnt want to get missunderstood, yet I wanted to set my feelings of caring and apreciation, so beacause lots of the normal phrases I could use were simple translated into just "I love you", that phrase was acompanied of a poor, nervous but well intentionated explanation... ay... that was back then.
    ok, now... forgive me if this sounds a little rude but that kind of comments I would say comes from a frigid woman or a recently heartbroke girl (no pun intended, ok?) I must admit that I am biased now (deliriously happy would be the most correct term despite some flu), so its very probably my commenst about it doesnt count for the purpose of the post
    oh well, I like it anyway, thoung im afraid I must dissagree a little, but the main suggestion must be recognized but not only for that word, when you say something to someone really mean it, cuz yes, words are powerful directly as for cheering and encourage as for to crush and destroy or indirectly when you must fake feelings, anyway (already rambling)
    oks, read ya later

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarcastic: I agree! In Greek, there are *three* words! Wonder why English didn't use that system as well?

    Muse: Same here. And yeah, it's hard for me to decide if my feelings are really *love*, or something else...

    No name: I'm not quite sure what you mean...You think that the post sounds like it was written from a frigid woman or hearbroken girl? Hmm, nope. I'm neither. And the word "love" really is overused. Just listen to conversations around you. If words are to be believed, people *love* ice cream, people they met five minutes ago, cookies, movies, celebrities they've never met. You can't possibly really love those things, and then when people go further by telling you that they love you, when they barely know your or just because they want a sip of your soda, you *know* it's not for real.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love has many definitions, and the word means something different to each and every person.

    This is--and always will be--my definition:

    1 Corinthians 13:4-7
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
    It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

    ReplyDelete
  8. okay I COMPLETELY agree (wonder why? lol) I actually HELPED come up with this and I have nver had a broken heart (like that) in my entire 15 years. This isn't about bitterness.. This about truth. It's not saying that SOME ppl don't mean it....just a lot. I mean how many times are ppl together for like, a week and say the love eachother? Seriously? For like a year or something I could see...but not a week or two. All this post is saying is that don't say love when u don't mean it...because then it's worthless. Like say u were some guy and u went around saying u loved every girl u saw...then u really do love a girl...how would she know it's different? Thats how it's been inflated.

    *this post is directed at no name but open to all

    ReplyDelete