Saturday, March 21, 2009

Feminism: Celebrating the Difference

Okay, I’m a female (duh). But sometimes women’s rights stuff is just irritating.

The whole Women-Can-Do-Anything-Men-Can-Do attitude can be abrasive and frankly, IT’S NOT TRUE. Now, I am a pretty darn stubborn, proud, spunky teenage girl, but let’s face it:

Girls are never going to be suited for the NFL.

Our bodies just aren’t designed to handle that kind of stuff! And sometimes girls/women will go so out of their way to prove to the world that they are just as “tough” as their male counterparts that they come across rude and strange. And they can miss out on some of the really fun parts of being a girl! (Being a tomboy is different, by the way, I speak from experience. Tomboys know that they’re being atypical and just like to do the things that boys do. They aren’t going out of their way to prove a point—necessarily.)

God gave men and women different physical strengths, instincts, and mindsets. If he wanted us to be all the same, we would be, and there would be no such thing as “maternal instinct.” (Latin root: mater = mother.) Or “paternal instinct” for that matter. (Latin root again: pater = father.) Girls can be tough. Very tough. But guys have the “tough guy” mindset already. It’s who they are. It’s what makes male and female different—and beautiful.

Now, definitely don’t think that I’m saying girls should grow up, marry, have kids, and then raise them and that’s IT. Nooooo. (Hello! One of my career goals is to become a lawyer.) I don’t necessarily believe that having kids is for everyone. (But, seriously, that’s kind of a waste of the whole maternal instinct thing.)

Guys’ bodies are made to be, well, stronger in some ways. And they like that in a whole different way than we girls do. I like to be strong and healthy and be able to move that box that my mom says is “too heavy”, but I’m not about to go “work-out” just to get stronger. Not saying that all guys do that, and I’m definitely not saying it’s bad that some do. I’m just saying it is. It’s the physical difference, and the different mindset.

Instincts are just totally different. Guys, you see a hurt bunny, shoot it, eat it, it was gonna die anyway and you’re hungry (haha, okay, so maybe that was a little over the top, but it was funny). Girls, you see the hurt bunny, you help it (most of us girls, anyway). Maternal instincts vs. paternal instincts. Dads take care of the family, moms do, too, but in a different way, and they go about it in different ways.

All of us that have parents know this. When you want to do something that might be dangerous, who do you ask permission from?

I’ll give you a hint: not Mom.

When you need help with something that you really should have done two weeks ago or that you “ought to be able to do by yourself,” who are you gonna go to?

Another hint: not Dad.

See the pattern?

Now, I’m not stereotyping. I’m not even saying that a girl couldn’t become an NFL player. I’m just saying that it’s pretty darn unlikely, and that girls’ bodies weren’t made for that.

And guys can’t make dinner, call the plumber, solve six problems, review a court case, plan tomorrow, make the grocery list and pour the cold medicine for Johnny at the same time. Haha, their brains would totally explode :D

So here’s my point: I’m not saying that women are inferior in ANY WAY. Just different. And I’m thinking that instead of celebrating the fact that women and men can be the same, we should celebrate the difference once in a while.

Cause there is a difference. A big one. And it’s what makes us beautiful.

10 comments:

  1. dude I completely agree with you...
    haha and yay for being a tomboy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree almost 100% on this one. probably 99% ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Preach it sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this post stole the words RIGHT out of my mouth.

    I think you did this for me Kendra. :D The tomboy, of tomboys. Although I would help the hurt bunny because I am sweet like that. (year right)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kendra, I really appreciate girls like you. Thank you for existing.
    =D

    ReplyDelete