Monday, May 25, 2009

Articulacy: Your Wildest Dreams Are A Well-chosen Word Away

Articulate.

I think everyone ought to know what it means, so when I tell you to puh-leez be more articulate, you'll know what I'm talking about.

To be articulate means to say exactly what you mean. To use good words, ones that carry a lot of meaning and express exactly what you're trying to say. If you're articulate, it makes you more convincing and persuasive and just generally more intelligent-sounding.

The lack of articulacy in today's culture is astounding. It's like nails on a chalkboard when I hear my little sister say things like, "Hand me that thingamajigger over there." IT'S A CAN-OPENER, OKAY??

The world would be such a nicer place if people would just say what they mean. Fewer misunderstandings would occur, and conversations would be so much deeper and more profound. Philosophy might be able to have a comeback, and our minds wouldn't be so lazy.


A real pet-peeve of mine is when people swear because they think it's cool. That is the height of inarticulacy. Honestly, if you can't think of a better word to use than s***, just keep your mouth shut. It doesn't make you seem cool, just extremely dull and unintelligent.

Any idiot can cuss, but to show true distain and anger without resorting to obscenities takes real skill.

People have stopped being articulate. Slang rules, and people always use the simplest words possible. I'm guilty of it, too. Anything that bugs me, is messy, or gets in my way is labeled "crap". But, really. I should try to stop doing that.

There are so many words out there, people! We use so few of them. We could all be such amazing wordsmiths!

We could paint picture in the air with our words!

We could solve disputes in half the time.

We could skip all the tedious daily arguments.

We could persuade people to do all kinds of things.

We could make people understand us.

We could talk our way up the corporate ladder.

We could charm the most uncharmable character.

We could rise to infinite power!

Let's face it: words are powerful. With the right words, you can persuade anyone of anything--almost. With a few well-chosen words, almost anything is possible.

Think about all the great leaders in history. All of them were powerful speakers, people who could get crowds excited and get reactions out of people.

Anything you want is just a well-chosen word away. To be great and powerful requires but three basic things:

Being passionate. Being logical. Being articulate.

And with passion, logic and articulacy, you can do things undreamed of.

So what are you waiting for? Go! Think! Talk! Be powerful.


I dare you.

17 comments:

  1. Whoa. Very thoughtful.
    You are right, words can get you farther than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so you went green and recycled a post, huh? ;D just kidding

    like I said before, I totally agree. well, that's it ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lols! I actually did laugh out loud :) Yes, I recycled.

    Cool! And tahnks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad to be of any use =)
    sure... thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Often times it seems like the English language as our parents would know it has become extinct!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Anything you want is just a well-chosen word away. To be great and powerful requires but three basic things:

    Being passionate. Being logical. Being articulate."
    Good words right there.

    Interesting post.
    Language is very important.
    You're very optimistic.

    and thanks for the comment, I'm glad this is all fun to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much! And it really is :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mua ha! I have finally tracked down your blog! Er, not so much 'tracked down,' as, 'clicked on your name and scrolled down.'

    Very interesting post. You're quite deep and thoughtful. I hope to get to know you better so you can bestow more amazing wisdom upon me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree in theory, but saying things like "pass me that thingamajigger" isn't necessarily bad. have you read any books on linguistics? some are really interesting. the stuff of thought is a great new book on linguistics that would be an argument against your post. even dull, boring, and vulgar words have meaning and a reason. but i still agree with most of what you say. there is a time to be more articulate with language.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Articulacy is something I haven't given much thought to. I actuaslly didn't know what it meant before reading the post.

    Articulacy is something I think I should work on, and this is a very inspiring post you've made. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elmoseviltwin: First of all, I just love your bloggername and the names of your blogs. Just wanted to say that :)

    Second: Thanks! Wow, bestowing wisdom...I'll do my best!

    EddieSki: Thanks for reading!!

    No, the whole "thingamajigger" thing isn't *necissarily* bad, but when people stop saying what they mean and just assume that people will get the general meaning, it becomes annoying and somewhat problematic.

    No, I haven't read any books on linguists, but that sounds like something I should definitely look into! Dull, boring words do have meaning, just not nearly the impact that colorful ones do. If you say, "This thing is gonna be very big," it doesn't pack the same punch as saying, "If we can work together and give our every all, we can change the world." You know?

    Vulgar words do having meanings, yes. But honestly, anyone can cuss. It takes zero skill, zero articulacy, and zero manners. I don't see the point. Not to sound like a stick or anything ;)

    Again, thanks for commenting! I love that. It continually shocks me that people care enough about my twisted mind to stop by and read what I have to say :)

    Muse of Randomness: Welcome back :D Love your blog.

    Cool! You learned a word today, lol!

    Thank you so much! I know I say that a lot, but I mean it every time. I hope you don't think I'm not being insincere, because I honestly want to thank everyone, like, all the time! (Whoops, I let a "like" slipe in ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting post and very true, and I can say that not being even a natural english talker (btw, my english sucks, so forgive me in advance, still learning) in my natural language things you have said are pretty much the same, I try t avoid it as much as can and as much I can remember the name of some stuff (lack of reading I suposse), and in english... well, embarrasing fails often and anyway, Hope to continue reading you and know each other better, cool to meet new people around that really have something to say in their blogs.
    Ant about your comment... I was "hacked" (that post was not even mine) :D just a token of a visit of a dear friend, actually that's a rare feedback but very encouraging, so thank-you.
    "read you around"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for reading! It's okay about your English, but it seems fine so far. What's your natural language?

    Oh, haha about being "hacked" :) And no problem!

    Read you around, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Natural language here is spanish (with some lacks in "articulacy" as well), whats yours? nahhh just kidding.

    Not the place to ask for friends (to just chat probably), still like a good oportunity, so what do you say? (talking about the power of the word well spoken...)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for your comment!

    And, wow! You are so...articulate! I loved this post, and I will certainly be back soon.

    ...Ever read Beowulf? *Use your word-hoard!* =]

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank *you* :) And you're very welcome.

    That is a very high compliment in my book, so thank you very much!! :) I'm glad you enjoyed reading this.

    Not yet, but I have to sometime over this summer...*moan* :) Just kidding. I heard it was difficult to get through, though, so I better start soon. Hopefully my "word hoard" will come in handy :)

    ReplyDelete