Saturday, April 25, 2009

Being Great: Are We Really Just Scared?

This is going to be a quick post, but hopefully still thought-provoking.

Some of you may have heard of Ralph Waldo Emerson. He wrote many essays, the most famous of which is “Self Reliance.” In his essay, he basically tells the reader than people need to depend on themselves. They need to be confident, but not cocky, and respect themselves. If you don’t respect yourself, how can you expect others to?

The most famous statement in the essay is “To be great is to be misunderstood.” When you first hear it, you probably thinking “okay, sounds cool, whatever.” Don’t dismiss it yet! Do you even understand what it means? I had to write a paper analyzing this for school, and at first, I came up with the stupid generic response: the greater someone is, the fewer people there are like them. The fewer people that think the way they do. Therefore, they’re misunderstood.

Wasn’t that just so enlightening?

Here’s another way of thinking about it: if one thinks about all the “geniuses” in history, it appears that all of them were misunderstood (Einstein, Newton, Jesus, Columbus, etc.). Why is that? It certainly has something to do with their thinking being far above others, but also, “to be great” almost by definition is to be strange. People who are considered great pushed the boundaries of their society. They tried new things. They looked at things in new ways. Anyone who is great will be misunderstood, because to be great, one must challenge the common thinking.

I would like to be great. Wouldn’t you? But who wants to be misunderstood? I think that’s what holds a lot of people back: the fear of being misunderstood. When you think outside the box, you’re usually labeled “weird”. Maybe that’s why today’s young people don’t do as many great things as we could.

Yeah; ’cause we’re SCARED.

So, I challenge you. Think outside the box. Challenge common thinking. Be misunderstood.

Be great.

10 comments:

  1. this isn't really a subject that gets to me. I do kind of agree with you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, okay, that's cool. Yeah, I'm starting to run out of Carpe Noctem things to say...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey no matter if your running out of things to say you are still great! I love reading your blogs and I wish I was more like you with my writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, thank you so much! You're flattering me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kendra! Thanks for visiting my blog- and commenting. Meser lovesh comments...

    Anyway- in answer to your question, I am currently in the process of editing Valiant, which is a painful process, to say the least, LOL I am posting the chapters here and there, in hopes of getting some kind of feedback!

    I hope you have time sometime to drop back by...I'd love to hear your thoughts about the entirety of the chapter(s). ;)

    ~Blessings,
    Kyla

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome! Ugh, editing is the worst. I always feel depressed when I'm doing it, lol! Hope I didn't just make you feel depressed, too...haha :) I'll read the whole chapter tomorrow probably. I don't update this blog very much, though, so if you want more up-to-date stuff, try Carpe Diem instead ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty much I'm sure that the post you read of mine wasn't the most interesting.. I don't normally talk about my shopping expeditions. But thanks for commenting! Ya, I luff the Uglies. And I just randomly started calling myself Trina-La. What you wrote at the end of your post is for seriously my life's motto. I luff to be random and think outside the rectangular prism. I have had many adventures, and a lot of my older posts talk about them if you want to go back and read them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, it's okay. I love reading blogs no matter what.

    Yes, thinking outside the box (or the prism, or the sphere or whatever) is definitely more fun and productive. It's a shame it's been labeled "weird" the way it has.

    I'll go back and read the other posts! Oh, and I don't update this blog very often, so if you want to see more recent stuff, check out Carpe Diem instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really good...and true. I see it all the time but I guess I never really thought about it.

    ReplyDelete